Is it to safe eat raw meat? Maybe it is safe or maybe it is not. I am not really sure!
1) From the point of view of vegetarianism, meat and meat products are bad for our health. It should not be eaten by humans cause we are designed to eat fruits and vegetables. So meat whether raw or cooked is not safe to it.
2) From the point of view of experts (doctors, nutritionist)s. Raw meats are not safe to eat. Meat is a rich protein source and a good medium for microbial growth. All sort of meat and meat products are at risk of high bacterial contamination that might cause mild to chronic diseases.
3) Our ancestors from paleolithic era are eating raw meat. According to Department of Health (DOH), we have learned how to cook foods. We also learned the proper sanitary practices. Hmmm… seems a backward development is not a good idea.
4) We are eating raw vegetables and fruits. Plants are selective creatures, absorbing only what are needed and filtering out the unnecessary substances. Animals on the other hand, absorb it all then expel out unwanted substances. There is the risk of consuming meat products with those unwanted materials – cooking might degrade them.
5) Eating raw meat, fish, eggs and blood are proven illness cure by our some fellow Filipinos. Take note, their raw food never undergo washing to prevent loss of nutrients. Expert said,”There is no studies that will prove it yet”. I always get very irritated when I hear those words. They keep on repeating no scientific evidences yet but they are not willing to conduct studies about it. They are experts and they should do something to know if the claim is factual or not.
6) Japanese are eating raw meats and sea foods. However, they blanching them before eating.
Do you eat raw meats and sea foods? I have never tried it myself.
Marvin is the lead chocolate maker of Ben and Lyn Chocolate Inc. Has strong background in food research and development. Occasionally conducts training and lectures. Lecturer of Cocoa Foundation of the Philippines. Do coaching and consultancy services on his free time.