Processing is a way to add value to commodities. Thus, small ginger and ginger fragments could be made into ginger candy.
Prepare yourself and begin:
1. Wash ginger thoroughly in several changes of water. Remove peels by scrubbing.
2. Cut crosswise according to its shape. Thickness should be 1/6 to 1/2 inches.
3. Soak ginger in clean water to prevent browning.
4. Boil ginger for three minutes and set aside the boiled water. Do this several times until you get the desired spiciness.
5. Weigh the ginger, add one part sugar and one part water.
6. Boil for ten minutes to until the sugar is dissolved. Let stand overnight.
7. Change water and sugar but do not discard it. Boil again for ten minutes. Let stand overnight.
8. Boil the syrup with ginger until all water has evaporated.
9. Arrange in tray and dry in oven dryer or under the sun.
1. For diabetics and health conscious buddies, sugar can be replaced with natural alternatives. It will cost you extra cash.
2. The water used in step number 4 to 6 could be used in making instant ginger tea. Throwing it away means dumping your money. Cheers!
Marvin is the lead chocolate maker of Ben and Lyn Chocolate Inc. Has strong background in food research and development. Occasionally conducts training and lectures. Lecturer of Cocoa Foundation of the Philippines. Do coaching and consultancy services on his free time.