Are you looking for a plastic jar/ bottle for your very first product? Plastic is lightweight and resistant to breakage, unlike its glass counter parts. Enough reason to prefer it over the fragile glass.
Read the following before deciding what kind of plastic bottle / jar to choose.
1) Is your product selling like a hot cake? E.g. Prepared juice sold within a day or two. Cookies sold with a week.
2) Is the product shelf stable even without packaging or the contact with oxygen does not affect product quality. e.g. sugar, dried corn and muscovado.
3) The product never need a hot packing procedure, neither pasteurization or sterilization.
4) The budget is limited.
If the following criteria are met, then a low cost plastic jar / bottle from Divisoria Market might suit the need. Otherwise, a more expensive kind is needed like the heat set PET and high quality PP.
High quality plastic jar packaging are not easy to find. Anyone should order it direct from plastic molder.
Low cost plastic jars have the the following disadvantages:
1) Have a poor oxygen barrier. The content will be prone to oxydation or microbial spoilage. The mouth is not perfectly smooth. The cap surface is not perfect either to fit to glass mouth and prevent oxygen and microbial entry. The cap underneath has only paper as seal or non at all.
2) Leaking of liquid product is likely to occur. The reason was explained in number 1.
3) Might not be heat resistant. It might melt or deformed during heat processing.
4) Might be made of recycled materials or other polymers not intented for food use. Migration of packaging substance to food might occur.
Marvin is the lead chocolate maker of Ben and Lyn Chocolate Inc. Has strong background in food research and development. Occasionally conducts training and lectures. Lecturer of Cocoa Foundation of the Philippines. Do coaching and consultancy services on his free time.