Hey! Why are you throwing orange peels? You can still use it ! How ?
You can use orange peels as:
– skin mosquito repellant
– extract as ant repellant
– sugar anti caking agent
– bath oil
– oil flavor
– dried and powder orange peel can be used as bathing powder, sugar and tea flavor, and spice mix.
– citrus peel candy
– fruit marmalade with complete procedures below
Update as of May 17 2012. Ant repellants act by disturbing the pheromone way of communication. It may not be as effective as you thought. See my little experiment about ant repellant.
For Fruit Marmalade
1. Select ripe but firm fruits.
2. Wash them thoroughly under running water or through several changes of water.
3. Blanch the fruit by dipping them in hot water. Dipping will help reduce the microbial load.
4. For easy peeling, soak fruits in boiling water for one to two minutes. Citrus peeling are soaked overnight before cooking.
5. Cut the fruit thinly and uniformly.
6. Prepare juice as describe in jelly making.
7. Cook the fruits in their own juice or with little water until soft to release the fruit pectin.
8. Supplement the natural acid of the fruit with lemon or calamansi juiced, citric, or tartaric acid as described in jelly making.
9. Boil the juice, fruit slices and sugar, boil rapidly until the setting point is reached according to the methods suggested in jelly- making.
10. Hot-fill the jelly into sterile glass jars with lid. The temperature should be 82-85ºC. If the filling temperature is too hot, the steam will condense on the inside of the lid and drop down onto the surface of the product. This will dilute the product’s surface making it vulnerable to microbial attack. Set them aside to cool undisturbed for proper gel formation.
11. Store them in a cool, dry place from a strong light.
Marvin is the lead chocolate maker of Ben and Lyn Chocolate Inc. Has strong background in food research and development. Occasionally conducts training and lectures. Lecturer of Cocoa Foundation of the Philippines. Do coaching and consultancy services on his free time.