glucose (corn syrup)
expeller or press
stainless steel cooking vessel
stainless steel spoon or ladle
sterilized glass jars with new PVC caps
1. Extract coconut milk. Add lukewarm water to shredded coconut. Mash it well and extract the milk by pressing a handful between palms. Repeat twice.
2. Boil extracts slowly until soft curds and oily streaks appear on top of the boiling milk.
3. Add brown sugar (2 parts: 5 parts boiled milk) and boil for another 20 minutes.
4. Pour in glucose (½ the amount of sugar used) and continue boiling until done over low fire, stirring frequently to prevent burning. End point is reached when a drop of the cooked materials in cold water forms a soft ball.
5. Cool and pour in sterilized containers and seal completely. Cool and label.
Technology courtesy of DOST Tekno Pangkabuhayan.
Marvin is the lead chocolate maker of Ben and Lyn Chocolate Inc. Has strong background in food research and development. Occasionally conducts training and lectures. Lecturer of Cocoa Foundation of the Philippines. Do coaching and consultancy services on his free time.