Tap the pointed end gently,to hard wall, to create a small opening. If it has the hard white, then break the opposite. Drink the liquid, swallow the young chick. I mean the embryo. Eat the enlarge soft yummy yolk then chew the hard white.
Balut, the popular Filipino energy food. Kumain ng balut para lumakas ang tuhod (Eat balut to have strong legs). Generally recommended to have just before honeymoon. A must for newly weds. It gonna make a man stay longer in bed. Someone please conduct a scientific study about this! I have never any significant difference for myself
Balut has five parts: 1) shell, 2) liquid, 3) the young chick, embryo 4) soft and yummy yolk, and 5) the hard and bland white.
1) Shell. The outer part that hold the rest. It receives a soft knock to break open. Chip part and discarded.
2) Liquid. They are saying, its absence signifies an old stock egg. It is drank immediately after opening.
3) The young chick, embryo. The highlight of every balut egg. Absence invalidates its identity. Sizes vary, from a very small and almost unnoticeable to an almost fully developed chick – with hard beak, hard bones and developed feather. Embryo is an eat or discard situation. 1) eat all sizes, 2) eat if small but throw if too big, and 3) discard all sizes. I belong to category 2.
4) The soft and yummy yolk. It is the egg yolk. Big if embryo is small and vice versa. All balut eaters consume it right away.
5) The hard and bland white. The normal soft jelly like egg white was compressed and hardened, I guessed. Normally has the same fate as shell. Often discarded for two reasons, hard chewy texture and bland taste. Hard enough to break false teeth.
Balut haters are buying penoy instead.
Balut and penoy are made from duck eggs. Original salted eggs are also made of the same type.
Marvin is the lead chocolate maker of Ben and Lyn Chocolate Inc. Has strong background in food research and development. Occasionally conducts training and lectures. Lecturer of Cocoa Foundation of the Philippines. Do coaching and consultancy services on his free time.