Naturals are definitely healthier than artificial counterparts but manufacturers are patronizing the latter. I tried to list reasons as they came across to my mind.
1) Consistent quality. Each mango in fruit basket has different properties. One is sweeter than the rest. Some are ripe and some are overripe. On the other hand artificial producer assure that their product have only slight quality differences.
2) Ease of use. Gather anatto seeds, soak in small amount of hot water for couple of minutes, then add extract to dish. Prepare some more if the color is inadequate. The easier way. Drop the color powder or liquid little by little until the right color is attained. A quantified amount can be added the next cooking session.
3) Cheaper. In most cases, artificials are cheaper than naturals. Adding mango flavor is cheaper than adding real mango. Cheap juice drinks are cheap cause they are made of cheap flavorings and preservatives.
4) Measurable sensory output. Because artificial are produced with consistent quality, one teaspoon pineapple powder per liter water is delicious and it will still be delicious the next formula preparation. A measure of 200g ripe pineapple per liter water might be delectable or adjustment is needed. Adjustment is likely every time such is prepared.
5) Lesser volume. Have you ever wonder how companies are able to fit the taste of a whole chicken in a small sachet about 2 x 3 inches? Easy, use artificial flavors.
6) Availability. Fruits and vegetables are seasonal and might not be available in place where it is needed. Artificial manufacture is able to fill the gap.
Marvin is the lead chocolate maker of Ben and Lyn Chocolate Inc. Has strong background in food research and development. Occasionally conducts training and lectures. Lecturer of Cocoa Foundation of the Philippines. Do coaching and consultancy services on his free time.