Eating ripe mangoes is better than drinking a commercially prepared mango juice. A fresh picked pineapple is better than pineapple slices in can. And thus eating fresh leafy vegetable is better. Processing often involves heat. Heat that has negative impact against nutrients. Eating them raw is recommended.
Processing effect is not always negative. There are cases when it is needed to unleash health benefits of certain products.
1) Tomato. This was popularized by a tomato sauce manufacturer. Del Monte? Tomato contains a phytochemical called lycopene. Eating fresh ripe tomatoes may not benefit anyone from lycopene effect. Heating is necessary to release the substance.
2) The sauerkraut making process produces cancer fighting compounds such as indoles and sulforophanes. You may want to ferment the cabbage, pechay, cauliflower, broccoli and relatives before eating.
3) Carrot antioxidant. Carrot is a natural source of antioxidant but subjecting it to UVB can triple its potential, as in triple the amounts of Polyacetylene and Falcarinol.
4) Coffee. A very popular commodity in the whole wide world. Its popularity was even intensified with the discovery of its antioxidant properties. Do you think that antioxidants of a green bean can withstand the extreme heat of roasting? Do not worry about it! The substances are developed during roasting.
5) Cassava. Known in Tagalog as balinghoy or kamoteng kahoy. Cyanide contents of commercially available cassava and its products are often not enough to cause alarming danger. However, the harmful substance concentration can go high enough to cause harm. Cassava should undergo fermentation to remove cyanide.
Know more? Please share!
Marvin is the lead chocolate maker of Ben and Lyn Chocolate Inc. Has strong background in food research and development. Occasionally conducts training and lectures. Lecturer of Cocoa Foundation of the Philippines. Do coaching and consultancy services on his free time.