– Mature mangoes and guavas
– Sugar, brown sugar is recommended
– Lemon juice or citric acid
Materials and equipment
– Aluminium pot with lid.
– Crown corks and glass bottles.
– Kitchen utensils: wooden spoons, knives, funnel, skimmer, chopping blocks, an assortment of plastic containers and kitchen cloths.
– Source of heat.
– Wash the mangoes and guavas in clean water.
– Peel the mangoes and separate the pulp from the pit. Cut the guavas in four sections and blanch them in boiling water for 3 to 10 minutes, according to their degree of maturity.
– Extract the mango and guava pulp by means of the pulper.
– Mix the ingredients as described below:
Boiling water: 1 litre per kilo of pulp.
Sugar: 200 g per kilo of pulp.
Lemon juice: 2 spoonfuls per kilo of pulp.
– Boil the water with the lemon and sugar, and then add the pulp, so that the mixture has a 19% solids concentration, measured by means of a refractometer, and a pH value between 3.5 and 3.8.
– Remove the foam with a skimmer.
– Pack while it is still hot, cover with a lid and sterilize for 10 minutes in boiling water for 0.33 l bottles; 15 minutes for 0.5 l bottles, and 20 minutes for 0.75 l bottles.
– Let the bottles cool.
– Label and store.
With the exception of pastillas de manga, measure the following physico-chemical properties and and adjust accordingly to your set standard. These properties should be uniform every batch. Adjustments can be computed using Pearson’s Square formula.
a. sugar content. Sugar concentration can be increased by adding sugar or can be lowered by adding water or pulp.
b. pH. This can be lowered by adding citric acid or can be increased by adding water or pulp.
c. titrable acidity. Same as in (a), just replace sugar with citric acid. Be cautious because citric acid affects both pH and titrable acidity.
Marvin is the lead chocolate maker of Ben and Lyn Chocolate Inc. Has strong background in food research and development. Occasionally conducts training and lectures. Lecturer of Cocoa Foundation of the Philippines. Do coaching and consultancy services on his free time.