If you are curious enough, you have noticed the small triangle printed on packaging labels. These are very common in mineral waters, energy drinks, juice and soda beverages.
Aluminum, glass type packaging are reusable. They can be used as food container repeatedly. However, its not true for plastic and paper type packaging. We know that paper degrades easily and reusing plastics pose dangers in our health.
Plastic and paper should be recycled but not for food use. The following briefly describes the recycle symbols:
1) PET -+- Polyethlene Terapthalate.Fizzy drinks, Mineral water, squashes and cooking oils.
2) HDPE -+- High Density Polyethylene. Milk bottles, juice bottles.
3) V -+- Polyvinyl Chloride. Not well known.
4) LDPE -+- Low Density Polyethylene
5) PP -+- Polypropylene
6) PS -+- Polysterene
7) OTHER -+- All other resins and multi-materials.
Plastic number 4 to 7 are hard to recycle due complexity of mixture. Most companies use this kind of plastic for their commodities.
Marvin is the lead chocolate maker of Ben and Lyn Chocolate Inc. Has strong background in food research and development. Occasionally conducts training and lectures. Lecturer of Cocoa Foundation of the Philippines. Do coaching and consultancy services on his free time.