Are you having a hard time making your meat soft. You can use pressure cooker for doing so. In fact it is the most common practice to tender meats.
Before proceeding, remember that pressure cooking uses very high temperatures which might destroys nutrients and flavors. If you do not want losing your meat nutrients and flavors , you might consider using papaya as tenderizer.
Papaya contains papain – an enzyme that breakdown of proteins by hydrolysis (addition of a water molecule).
Papain maybe used in
1. analysis of proteins
2. preparations of various remedies for indigestion
3. tenderizing meat
4. and in enzyme-action cleansing agents for soft contact lenses.
As meat tenderizer, you can follow the following methods:
Peel off the green skin of raw papaya . Skin is what you need. For every two tablespoon of skin, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Then grind until it turn into a paste. Your meat tenderizer is ready . It can be stored in a refrigerator for later use.
General guidelines for using papaya meat tenderizer:
1. Tenderizer is effective only in pH near neutral. pH 6-7 . As an example tenderize meat firsts before adding fruits like pineapple. Fruits will render the meat acidic making the enzyme inactive.
2. Active temperature range from 140oF to 160oF .Optimal temperature is 149oF. Too hot solution will inactivate papain.
3. Use 2 teaspoons of solution for every pound of meat. Tenderizing time may take from 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on type of meat, age and cut.
Begin experimenting and share your experience!
Marvin is the lead chocolate maker of Ben and Lyn Chocolate Inc. Has strong background in food research and development. Occasionally conducts training and lectures. Lecturer of Cocoa Foundation of the Philippines. Do coaching and consultancy services on his free time.